Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Soooo, it's been a long time since I last posted a new blog entry here. And since I dedicated this to blogs about comic books mostly, I thought my new post in about 3 years should at least mention that I'm returning to blogging here about DC Comics' books because I was effectively chased away from the DC Comics Message Boards, the almost solitary place I used to converse about my comic collecting hobby/passion/addiction...

It's sad, but there were several other posters there, namely "darkbatman1", "jokergas", "munkeypunk", and possibly to a lesser degree, "bcbdla", "stupidmultiverse", and "dvdkim", who made it very unenjoyable to discuss the books I'd bought and read (which is a considerable amount especially for being unemployed for a period of time) or anything else going on with DC Comics.
Those first 3 were definitely the worst, maddeningly so, really, but "bcbdla" also was like the "Red Queen" of the Resident Evil movie by acting like a mother hen moderator of the Boards trying to derail any & all negativity expressed by anyone toward anything DC did or was doing.

And "stupidmultiverse" on one thread aggravated me to no end seemingly on purpose by repeatedly asking me the same couple of questions which I answered very clearly & directly each time, while he/she completely would ignore questions I would ask like "Are none of the current teenaged heroines really not popular enough to have been included in the upcoming Teen Titans over the hideous Bugg & charcoal-briquette-looking girl??" I even listed practically ALL of DC's teenage heroines like Aquagirl (Lorena), Miss Martian, Speedy (Mia), Stephanie Brown, Cassandra Cain, Squire (Beryl), Traci 13, Stargirl, and plenty of others, and instead of actually answering questions like that that I presented to him/her, he/she just turned things around on me making an argument that I treat DC's characters like they are real people & that I talk about them like they are real people.
I more than once pointed out how he/she needed to get off his/her high horse or pedestal talking to me like that as everyone on the Boards talk about fictional characters passionately, including him/her.
That kind of tactic being used by "stupidmultiverse" that I've also seen another couple of posters use before too to try to make themselves sound like they are somehow so much more mature than others on the Boards (when just posting on the Boards at all shows at least some level of immaturity to begin with) is such a hypocritical thing & a pet peeve of mine!

So, really it was a combination of too many posters over just the past couple of months making me feel like I had to only have good things to say about all of DC's books & would also personally attack or insult me even when I would not do so to them. The best examples of that were most definitely "darkbatman1" and "jokergas" on this thread http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?messageID=2006628479&#2006628479 and "dvdkim" on this thread http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000249654&tstart=15 .
The first thread I linked to was definitely the last straw for me though & what made the DC Comics Message Boards NOT a fun place to visit anymore. I will miss a bunch of posters there, especially all those that participated in the "Shadowpact Game" thread that I oversaw like "jaylayson", "ultron81", and "tremo77" and also others like "tamaranorbust", "srvihs", "robolivera", "chach-el", and even "steveaux"/"ianto" (those last 3 being the only ones I've also befriended on facebook so far, as well).

So, this is my ode/farewell to the DCCMB. I was "garthling" on there from 2002-early July 2011. It was fun for a long time, and interesting (for good or bad) the entire time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've felt like you (if darkbatman is who I think I unfriended him and then blocked him after a PM that offended me) but I have a system that seems to keep me away from the worst. I ignore most of the guys on your list and if I reply to a thread we're both on and they're last, I hit reply on the poster above them. I log on, check for new threads that interest me then check my watched list, deleting any thread that's two days without reply. That keeps me away from contentiousness but I have to admit cmtheman and davidh bring out the worst in me. I was only slightly not subtle insulting cm Sunday but he didn't even notice, I guess because I didn't give him a chance to name drop all the zillions of creators he's close personal friends with...

HectorHall said...

Oh man, I didn't even mention "davidh". He really pissed me off earlier in the year on one thread where he blatantly ignored whole posts of mine where I replied to things he said, and then acted like he had won some sort of argument with me. He was so obnoxiously arrogant.

And as far as the link to the thread that was the last straw, here's one that should work starting on the page where it started going downhill:
http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000250254&start=60&tstart=0
Hopefully, that link works.

HectorHall said...

Other posters I'll really miss would be "carolstrick", "ruthborn", "club33az", "ja74", "jaylarue", "spectrumrider", "aquamanfan", "titansmaster", "kalarmourr", "tempest21", "pkarate2000", "gartenmedia", "garlogan16", and others I'm just not remembering right now.

Anonymous said...

I had a chance to snark at dvdkim for you and took it! I wish t he boards weren't down again but I did comment that the only way wit could be ascribed to her is if you went to urbandictionary.com and added a new definition. It felt too good...