Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The following is taken directly from the DC Comics Message Boards when I replied to this thread http://dcboards.warnerbros.com/web/thread.jspa?threadID=2000249456&start=15&tstart=0 where I ranked the new comics I bought from the week of July 6. I tried to regularly participate in these types of threads that "rogerburks" oversaw. Here was my post:

Man, it's REALLY difficult to rank this past week's books! They were all great reads! But, here we go! 

Superboy #9 ***** 
I LOVED the interaction between Simon Valentine & Lori Luthor (Lori: "Why do the frogs have to be pink?") & him & Psionic Lad (Simon suggesting he call himself "Psion" & PL telling his conspirator from the future that he's not going to kill his new friend Simon). And Superboy was shown as being very good at asking "Phantom Stranger" the right questions & I honestly was duped by the pretender for almost as long as Conner was too. I am SO going to miss this book in September! 

Flashpoint: The World of Flashpoint #2 (of 3) ***** 
The interaction between Traci 13 & Madame Xanadu was very well done & I still just really appreciate that MX was used decently in this mini at all. The trip around the world that Traci took was quite a good look at the "Flashpoint" DCU too & it was great to see a few like Changeling & Natasha Irons were not forgotten about there. Then, there was the very much surprise ending with Traci's father, Dr. 13, knowing magic & attacking her with it! It's so very ironic because he traditionally is a character who likes to disprove magic & thinks of it all as trickery & illusions. 

Flashpoint: Secret Seven #2 (of 3) ****1/2 
Amethyst shows up!! And she is used in the beginning of the issue in a very different, mature setting for the character as a teacher for refugee children to America! I was just upset that she was killed by the end of the issue! Rac Shade's inner monologue about June Moone/Enchantress was interesting, as was the interaction on the one page between punk/biker chick Zatanna & demonic-looking Raven. The Mindwarp character seems kind of interesting too, though I am left wondering why other already-existing mystic/magical/supernatural characters like Dr. Occult, Mr. E, Faust, Ragman, Blue Devil, Bloodwynd or others were passed up for usage in favor of this brand-new guy. Abra Kadabra throwing a wrench into Shade's plans for reunion has me intrigued though & really wondering how this story is going to wrap up nicely with just one issue left. 

Flaspoint: Abin Sur - The Green Lantern #2 (of 3) **** 
I LOVE the art in this mini!! That is THE BEST thing about it! I mean where in the world has Felipe Massafera been hiding all this time that I've never seen his work before at DC??? 
Ok, besides the art, what I liked about this issue is that we see what things might've been like in the DCU if Abin Sur had survived his crash landing on Earth originally & that is quite interesting to me! It was neat seeing him & Cyborg standing side-by-side with the President too! 

Flashpoint #3 (of 5) **** 
This was another solid overall look at what's going on in this altered universe & also great to see Barry get his powers back! It was great seeing his fierce determination to regain them! And I loved the last-second save he pulled on the "Flashpoint" Batman too! And, I may be in the minority, but as a hopefully temporary alternate timeline, I thought that the Superman introduction in this issue was very well-done! Poor Krypto, though a.k.a. "Subject 2"... [frown][cry] 

Secret Six #35 ***1/2 
I LOVE the villain Bane, but I have to say, after having read Batman: Gotham Knights #47-49 where he completed a soul-searching journey of inner peace & seemed to have mostly made amends with Batman, this story is a little bit out of left field for me. But, if you forget about that 3-issue story, then Gail does a great job of explaining his motivations what with the Six's recent excursion to Hell & back. What has me a little confused though is why most of the team is all about joining him on his little venture. I would think that it would be something that Bane would want to embark on separately much like how Cat-man did when he was hell-bent on finding his kidnapped son. 
But, all that aside, there was a lot of fun dialogue & interaction in this issue, particularly between Bane & Cat-man, Knockout & Scandal, and King Shark! I mean these are definitely "bad guys" & Gail does not portray them any differently & just does a great job of getting us into their heads & seeing what could keep a team like this together! 

Adventure Comics #528 *** 

No comments: